HUM 50 - Introduction To Reasoning
- Recommended Prep: Placement in ENG 22/60 or ESL 23
Learning to avoid black and white thinking with special emphasis on persuasive appeals and scientifi c conclusions popularized by the mass media. Cross-listed as PHIL 50.
3 hrs. lect. per week
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of HUM 50, the student will be able to:
- Identify persuasive appeals.
- Identify types of arguments supporting beliefs and positions on issues.
- Identify relevant and irrelevant reasons in a given context of argumentation.
- Identify and evaluate different types of support for arguments.
- Recognize misleading uses of language.
- Understand and evaluate causal arguments and explanations.
- Evaluate credibility of sources of information and opinion.
- Determine when additional information is needed for a given purpose.
Other HUM Courses | New Search