SP 181 - Introduction to Interpersonal Communication
- Recommended Prep: ENG 100 with ENG 100S or ESL 23 OR Placement in ENG 100
This course introduces students to the basic principles of interpersonal communication. Students will gain an understanding of the various stages of a relationship, how to deal with conflict in a relationship, and various assertive communication strategies. Students will research and write about interpersonal communication in a clear, logical, and inventive manner.
3 hrs. lect. per week
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of SP 181, the student will be able to:
- Explain how the behavior and the interactions of people can be described by interpersonal communication theories.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the quantitative and qualitative social science research techniques used to study interpersonal communication.
- Explain how self-concept, perception, culture, and gender can influence the study interpersonal communication.
- Explain the process of overcoming barriers to effective interpersonal communication.
- Explain how interviews, observations, surveys, and experiments can be used to better understand how verbal and nonverbal communication affects interpersonal communication.
- Use models to describe how humans interact during the various stages of relationships.
- Explain and demonstrate conflict management and assertive communication strategies.
Other SP Courses | New Search