100 Years

100th LogoIn 2020, Honolulu Community College proudly celebrates its centennial anniversary. As the oldest community college in the State of Hawaiʻi, Honolulu Community College has awarded thousands of degrees and certificates, in addition to immeasurable non-credit and apprenticeship courses, fulfilling its mission to provide accessible and quality educational opportunities to current and future generations of Hawaiʻi.

Ways you can join the celebration:

  • Participate in centennial events
  • Share your Honolulu CC stories on social media and tag us #HonCC100
  • Refer friends and family members to join the HonCC ʻohana - we offer an array of educational options from short non-credit courses to an associate degree that will transfer to a four-year campus.
  • Perpetuate Honolulu CC's success by making a gift to the HonCC Innovation Fund.

Timeline

DECADE
DECADE
DECADE
DECADE
DECADE
DECADE
DECADE
DECADE
DECADE
DECADE

Scroll/swipe to view timeline.

February 27, 2020

100th Birthday Celebration on the Mall

March 7, 2020

Mālama ʻāina Campus Clean-up Service Event: View PDF Flyer | Sign Up

April 22, 2020

Hoʻolaule'a Spring 2020

May 2, 2020

Fashion Show

May 15, 2020

Commencement

September 12, 2020

Mālama ʻāina Campus Clean-up Service Event

October 2020

Fall Feast (tentative)

November 6, 2020

Centennial Gala

Ongoing

Teal Tuesday: Wear teal on Tuesdays to show your school spirit!

1920s

1920 - Territorial Trade School opened on February 2, 1920 with 42 students in the buildings of the old Chinese Hospital in Pālama

1925 - Territorial Trade School became the Smith-Hughes department of McKinley High School

1927 - Territorial Trade School renamed Honolulu Vocational School. In addition to the vocational courses in auto mechanics, machine shop, mill woodworking and dressmaking, the students received instruction in English, mathematics and civics.

1929 - Legislature appropriated $40,000 for improvements in the physical plant of the campus.

1930s

1931 - Dillingham Boulevard opened

1940s

1941 - Honolulu Vocational School assisted in making war-related items such as machine gun mounts and land mines

1946 - Cosmetology, Refrigeration, Drafting and Radio programs were added

1947 - Auto Mechanics Shop entered its first permanent building

1948 - Baking program developed

1949 - Construction of the Carpentry, Sheet Metal and Machine shops started by Oahu Construction Company. Aeronautics Maintenance program started.

1950s

1950 - Plumbing program started

1951 - Masonry program started

1952 - Auto Body and Repair program started

1955 - The Department of Public Instruction approved the name change from Honolulu Vocational School to Honolulu Technical School due to the increased enrollment and expansion

1958 - Baking program moved into Foods Building that housed the school's bake shop and cafeteria (Building 4)

1959 - Computing Security and Networking Technology, formerly known as Radio and TV Repair, started

1960s

1962 - The Automotive building (Building 3) was completed along with the Electronics building (Building 20)

1963 - Building 5 was constructed and housed engineering aid, drafting, building trades, cosmetology, commercial sewing programs and classrooms

1964 - State Legislature passed Act 39, titled the Community College Act, which established a system of community colleges in Hawaiʻi

1965 - Honolulu Technical School was transferred from the Department of Education to the University of Hawaiʻi System

1966 - UH Board of Regents approved the name change to Honolulu Community College and granted the awarding of associate degrees

1966 - Electricity building (Building 24) was added. Applied Art, which changed to Commercial Art and now known as Communication Arts, started.

1966 - 850 day school students and 1500 evening students made Honolulu the largest community college in the state. The following year's enrollment jumped another 40 percent.

1967 - Administration of Justice program and Fire and Environmental Emergency Response program started

1968 - Human Services program added

1970s

1971 - Early Childhood Education, which began as part of the Human Services program, started

1972 - Fashion and Cosmetology building (Building 27) was constructed

1974 - Liberal Arts and Library building (Building 7), Administrative and Student Services building (Building 6) and the air conditioning plant were built

1975 - Occupational and Environmental Safety Management program started

1975 - Pearl Harbor Shipyard Apprentice School started classroom instruction at HonCC, starting with ship repair and maintenance

1977 - Trade Industry Complex (Building 14) was completed

1979 - Classroom/Campus Center building (Building 2) was erected

1980s

1982 - Enrollment peaked at 5,327

1986 - Automotive Technology building (Building 43) was opened on the makai end of Kokea St

1988 - Diesel Mechanics Facility (Building 44) was completed

1990s

1995 - Airport Training Center (Building 52) was built at Honolulu International Airport off Lagoon Drive

1995 - Marine Education and Training Center (METC, Building 50) opened on Sand Island

1998 - Pacific Aerospace Training Center takes over hangar at Kalaeloa (Building 57)

2000s

2001 - Pacific Center for Advanced Technology Training (PCATT) opened its administrative headquarters at HonCC

2005 - Parking Lot 1C added to bring total area of the Dillingham campus to 25.136 acres

2006 - Construction Academy was established

2008 - Music and Entertainment Learning Experience (MELE) program started

2010s

2011 – Ka Māla o Niuhelewai, The Garden of Niuhelewai, was established

2012 - Associate in Arts in Hawaiian Studies started

2013 - Associate of Science in Natural Sciences started

2019 - Campus Traditional Hale completed