The Applied Trades (APTR) program's mission is to provide students who are in state or federally approved apprenticeship programs an opportunity to earn a Certificate of Achievement and/or Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degree.
Any person who has completed or is enrolled in a State of Hawaiʻi or a Federally approved Apprenticeship Program or an approved Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard (PHNSY) Cooperative Education Training sequence is eligible for admission to the Honolulu Community College Certificate of Achievement and Associate in Applied Science degrees programs in Applied Trades.
Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard Cooperative Education Training
667 Safeguard Street
PH Naval Shipyard & IMF, Suite 100
Pearl Harbor, HI 96860-5033
The PHNSY-IMF Apprenticeship Training Program is administered through a contract between Honolulu Community College and the Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard – Intermediate Maintenance Facility (PHNSY IMF). These guidelines are very specific and must be adhered to in order for the students to be eligible for conversion to career conditional appointments (permanent positions).
The PHNSY Apprenticeship Program incorporates a Learning Community model in which the faculty and Trade Theory instructors collaborate to achieve the Program Learning Outcomes (PLOs) listed below. Cooperative Education enables students to apply classroom/lab experiences to actual work performance.
The PHNSY Cooperative Education training sequence includes a minimum of 780 hours of approved PHNSY Trade Theory and General Experience Training (26 credits), Cooperative Education - WORK 194V (10 credits), a minimum of 750 hours of work experience, and 24 credits of general education and technical support courses. PHNSY Trade Theory and General Experience Training are converted to credits upon completion of certification (30 training hours = 1 credit). This curriculum qualifies participants for conversion to careerconditional appointment (full-time permanent employment) and also satisfies the requirements of the Honolulu Community College Associate in Applied Science Degree in Applied Trades.
- Students must be accepted into the State of Hawaiʻi or Federally approved Apprenticeship Program.
- Placement in ENG 100
- Placement in Math 24/50
- Naval Supply Center:
- A minimum of 640 hours of supervised work experience
Degrees That Can Be Earned
- Associate in Applied Science (AAS)
- Certificate of Achievement (CA)
- Certificate of Competence (CC)
Itemized Estimate of Educational Costs
- Tuition based on total credits taken.
- Books/tools/equipment/ are dependent upon the specific apprenticeship program.
- Cost of Textbooks/Supplies for PHNSY APTR Program: General education texts average $25–$200 each. Supplies average $25-$180.
Upon successful completion of the PHNSY Apprentice Training Program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate communication skills (read critically, write effectively, speak with clarity, and listen actively).
- Use Mathematics (algebra, geometry and trigonometry) to solve work-related problems.
- Demonstrate positive work habits and ethical behavior.
- Demonstrate knowledge of Physics (fluids, mechanical, electrical and thermal).
- Demonstrate drafting and plan reading skills.
- Analyze and evaluate information: Identify factors, analyze implications, and solve problems.
- Use technology effectively (word processing, spreadsheets, software, and equipment).
- Apply knowledge and skills gained in the classroom to perform work duties on the waterfront.