Liaison: Diane Caufield, (808-845-9413, firstname.lastname@example.org)
Cooperative Education provides students the opportunity to acquire on the job experience in conjunction with classroom and laboratory instruction. Cooperative Education is offered in both Career Technical Education and Liberal Arts areas. Written instructor approval is required for registration.
Cooperative Education is provided by Honolulu Community College and not by the officials of the field site. There is regular interaction between the Cooperative Education Coordinator and the student. Appropriate assignments, as determined by the Cooperative Education Coordinator, are required for completion of the course. A standard College grading system is utilized. Five hours per week or 75 hours of work per semester are required for each credit.
Student Learning Outcomes: Upon completion of the Cooperative Education course, students will be able to:
- Secure Job Placement. The student will obtain a position with a company that is related to his/her major and perform a minimum of 75 hours of work per semester for each credit. This learning outcome will be assessed by.
- Cooperative Education Student Application Form
- Resume, Cover letter, and list of potential employers
- Cooperative Education Agreement
- Evaluate Personal Assessment. The student will demonstrate an understanding of personal abilities and skills with an awareness of the impact of abilities and skills on career development and academic achievement. This learning outcome will be assessed by:
- Mid Term Report
- Student Evaluation of Cooperative Education Experience
- Learning Outcome Paper(s)
- Demonstrate Job Performance. As part of a team, the student will perform all duties required at the cooperative education work site, demonstrating positive work habits and using appropriate procedures, tools and equipment, consistent with all applicable standards and OSHA regulations. This learning outcome will be assessed by:
- Student Time Sheet
- Employment Supervisor’s Evaluation of Cooperative Education