** For the time being, HELLO will now be offered entirely Online **
All classes will be held virtually through the Zoom app platform with the same great instructors as before in a condensed format.
Instructors: Sharyn K. and William S.
M-TR (Monday through Thursday)
Online synchronous (You must be available and online during class time)
Virtual Classroom and Student Requirements
- You are required to have access to a computer or laptop with broadband internet access.
- Accessing the virtual classroom through a smart phone will not be acceptable.
- You are required to download the Zoom cloud meeting app for access to the virtual classroom. This application is free to download. Should it be needed, technical support assistance will be provided.
For the purpose of maximizing classroom efficiency and learning benefit, you should be able to read and write a minimum of one paragraph (5 sentences) in English. If you are unsure of your English language ability or would like to be sure this class will be the appropriate level for you, please contact Jarret Yip at email@example.com or call 845-9296.
Honolulu CC English Language Learner Options (HELLO), formerly known as Introduction to College English, is a non-credit ESL program with several levels/options for improving English language proficiency. Each level is designed to help those who use English as their second language to improve their language skills for college and/or work. All language skills are taught including listening, speaking, reading, vocabulary, writing, and grammar in 7 weeks for 15 hours weekly.
HELLO helps students:
- Increase reading skills and proficiency
- Practice writing skills in both sentences and paragraphs
- Learn to follow and understand language found in short academic mini-lectures
At the end of this program you will be able to:
- Use context clues to get the meaning of unknown words in reading selections
- Understand a variety of listening types such as conversations, interviews, and television talk shows
- Speak confidently in pairs and groups
- Identify main ideas and important information in reading selections
- Write grammatically-correct sentences and short paragraphs
Note: This program is for people for whom English is not their native language. Credit English as a Second Language (ESL) courses are also available.
Fall 2020 Session - Online
October 19 - November 24
5 weeks, 20 class meetings (No class on Nov 3 & Nov 11 due to state holidays)
Total class hours = 30
Spring 2021 Session - Online
January 4 - February 8
5 weeks, 20 class meetings (No class on Jan 18 due to state holiday)
Total class hours = 30
Program cost is $350
For those who qualify, full financial assistance will be available through outside community agencies (AJCH, HCAP or other workforce development agency) Please inquire with our staff so that we may be able to connect you.
Minimum no. of students per class section is 10.
Maximum no. of students per class section is 16.
You may register online with a credit or debit card.
Registration forms for all courses must be received five (5) working days prior to the first class meeting.
Transfer and Refund Policy
To transfer to another course or to completely withdraw from a course, call the Continuing Education Office (808) 845-9296 by the fifth working day after the first class meeting. Thereafter, REFUNDS WILL NOT BE PERMITTED. Refunds require 4 - 6 weeks processing time. Charge card refunds will be credited to your account.
Note: Students registering by purchase order will be billed regardless of non-attendance, unless notification of withdrawal is made by the specified refund deadline.
The College reserves the right to cancel a class due to insufficient enrollment. Registrants will receive a full refund or may transfer to another section.
For more information, please contact Jarret Yip, Program Coordinator, 808-845-9101.
Continuing Education Office
Honolulu Community College
874 Dillingham Boulevard
Honolulu, HI 96817
Building 2, Room 507