Veterans Affairs COVID-19 FAQs

I enrolled for a class that had a change in teaching modality. Will I be able to receive the same amount of Monthly Housing Allowance or other Subsistence Allowance?

The President of the United States signed S. 3503 into law which authorized the Department of Veterans Affairs to continue to provide educational assistance through December 21, 2020, for programs of education that have been converted to distance learning due to an emergency or health-related situation. Such assistance includes Monthly Housing Allowances or subsistence allowances.

NOTE: Other types of changes to your enrollment status (for example, dropping a class results in a reduced rate of pursuit or training time) may affect payments.

I have registered or will register for classes for the upcoming term and I don't know which courses have changed their teaching modality. How do I know which courses count as resident hours?

The UH System has created a "C19" attribute that is attached to courses that had a change in teaching modality. This will let the VA School Certifying Official know that the class was converted from and in-person teach modality to an online modality due to COVID-19 and to certify attributed course(s) as resident hours with a standard remark of "COVID-19 Residence Course Taken Online".

Can I take an Incomplete Grade in a course and finish up the work later, instead of getting a bad grade or a NC grade?

You should contact the course instructor to see if an Incomplete Grade is an option and with the VA School Certifying Official or Veterans Counselor to see how this may impact your benefits.

If I drop or withdraw from some or all of my classes, what happens to my Enrollment Certification?

The VA School Certifying Official will submit the VA Form 22-1999b Notice of Change in Student Status to the VA. The VA will make payments for Monthly Housing Allowance through your last date of attendance. This may create a tuition and fee debt and a prorated housing overpayment for you. If you do get a debt, you may request for a waiver when you are notified of a debt. Learn more at Submit a Waiver Request.

It is always recommended that you contact the Veterans Affairs School Certifying Official and the Veterans Counselor prior to making changes to your registration. If you have already made changes, please contact the Veterans Affairs School Certifying Official to report the changes to the VA to minimize debts with the VA.

Does COVID-19 change how I submit the Academic Counselor Review Form or other requested documents?

It is recommended that you utilize the UH FileDrop Service when submitting documents that contain Personal Identifiable Information (PII).

I am experiencing a financial hardship due to COVID-19 and owe a debt to the VA. Is there any relief for me?

The VA's Debt Management Center (DMC) encourages Veterans and family members affected by COVID-19 who have a VBA benefit debt and need temporary financial relief to contact the DMC at 1-800-827-0648 to request assistance.

If you have any questions about your specific circumstance, please contact the Education Call Center at 1-888-GIBILL1 (1-888-442-4551) between 8 AM and 7 PM Eastern Time, Monday through Friday, or submit your question electronically.

What happens if school is closed temporarily?

If school closes temporarily, the VA will continue to pay your benefits through the end of the term or 28 days, whichever is sooner.