Frequently Asked Questions

How do I register for a course?

If you are currently enrolled as a student in the University of Hawaiʻi system, you may register for distance education courses by registering online at MyUH Portal.

If you are not currently enrolled as a student within the University of Hawaiʻi system, you will need to submit a System Application Form.

If you are not currently enrolled as a student within the University of Hawaiʻi system, you will need to submit a System Application Form.

How much does it cost to take a course and how do I pay?

The cost for a distance education course is the same as the cost for a course taken on campus with the exception of an additional $20-$22 fee for certain cable courses.

How will I submit homework and take examinations for a course?

The instructor for each distance education course will specify how homework will be submitted and how examinations will be administered. Generally this information can be found by going to the course information pages provided for the course.

Some instructors will have you submit your homework via e-mail while other instructors may require you to fax or mail your homework. How you will take examinations will also vary with the course. Some instructors may have you take your examinations online by providing you with a password that gives you access to the test. Other instructors may require you to report to the campus or other locations for proctored examinations. Again, it is best to carefully review the course information pages to determine the precise course requirements for homework and testing.

How do I get in touch with my instructor if I need help or have questions?

The primary communication tool for all online courses will be electronic mail (e-mail). The e-mail address for the instructor for the course is given on the course information page which can be accessed through the main menu at the left. It is also possible to call the instructor and leave a message (most instructors have a message service). The phone number for the instructor can be found on the instructors homepage which can be accessed from the course information page.

Do I have to come to the college while I am taking a course?

The answer to this question depends on the course. Some courses can be completed entirely online, in which case, you will never be required to come to the college. Other courses may require that you report to the college periodically to take an examination. Keep in mind, however, that you are officially a student at the college and can most certainly come to campus to meet with your instructor if you so desire. It is best, however, to make an appointment with the instructor (e-mail a message) to insure that the instructor is on campus when you visit.

How can I get academic advising or get information about financial aid?

Online academic advising is available. There are two liberal arts counselors to help you with your questions. They are Jean Maslowski ( and Maggie Templeton ( For financial aid information please contact the Financial Aid Office.

Will a distance education course give me the same credit as if I took the same course on campus?

The distance education courses available through the college provide exactly the same credit as their traditional classroom versions.