The Department of Health requires all college students to be free of:
- Tuberculosis (TB)
- Tetanus-diphtheria-pertussis (Tdap)
- Varicella (chickenpox) and
- Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR)
All students must show proof of a negative TB test, a Tdap immunization record, two (2) varicella (chickenpox) immunization shots, proof of two (2) Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR) shots prior to registration. Details of other acceptable types of immunization records can be found below, under each detailed section for TB, Tdap, Varicella, and MMR. Please keep originals of your immunization for your records. Submit photocopies only of your immunization records to the Admissions Office.
Tuberculosis (TB) Test
Items to submit BEFORE registration:
TB clearance card, report (record must have TB test date, TB read date, millimeter test reading, and/or negative x-ray report, or a completed Risk Assessment Form.
- New Students - Must have a negative TB skin test or x-ray completed at the age of 16 or older, or within 1 year of the start of the semester. Students can also submit a Risk Assessment Form directly from their physician's office or the Department of Health.
- Transfer Students - Need both a TB test and proof of attending other courses after high school/college, if TB does not meet the 16 or older requirement (with a negative TB reading).
- UH Manoa Students - Send a signed written memo requesting copy of TB & MMR health clearance documents to be sent to Honolulu CC via campus mail or for pick-up. Include your Banner ID#, name, and phone number to University Health Services at Manoa (Fax # 808-956-0853, Office # 808-956-8965). Allow a minimum of 1 week to process your request.
- International (F-1) Students - TB Clearance must be from a M.D. in the U.S. before registration is allowed, including varicella immunization, and Tdap. MMR immunization records from the student's home country are acceptable, the MMR immunization record must be in English.
Tetanus-Diphtheria-Pertussis (Tdap) Clearance
Proof of one (1) shot of Tdap is required. Laboratory evidence of immunity for Tetanus and Diphtheria may be substituted for a record of immunization, signed by a U.S. licensed physician, APRN, or PA certifying that student is immune to the specified disease. A shot for pertussis is still required.
International (F-1) Students - Tdap Clearance must be from a M.D. in the U.S. before registration is allowed.
Varicella (Chickenpox) Clearance
Proof of two (2) shots of varicella is required. A documented history of varicella (chickenpox), signed by a U.S. licensed physician, APRN, or PA may be substituted for the varicella vaccine requirement.
If student is born before 1980, varicella immunization record is not required.
International (F-1) Students - Varicella Clearance must be from a M.D. in the U.S. before registration is allowed.
Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR) Clearance
Proof of two (2) Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR) shots or a combination of one (1) Measles and one (1) MMR shot one month apart on or after 1/1/68 and/or after 1st birthday
Positive Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR) IgG blood test report. This is if the student had shots, but no records are found and/or if the student had a disease. (Request a form for Kalihi-Palama Health Center from the Admissions Office or order tests through your M.D. and pay for labs at time of service for discount.)
If student is born before 1957, MMR immunization record is not required.