The Department of Health requires all college students to be free of:
- Tuberculosis (TB)
- Tetanus-diphtheria-pertussis (Tdap)
- Varicella (chickenpox) and
- Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR)
All students must show proof of a negative TB test, a Tdap immunization record, two (2) varicella (chickenpox) immunization shots, proof of two (2) Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR) shots prior to registration. Details of other acceptable types of immunization records can be found below, under each detailed section for TB, Tdap, Varicella, and MMR. Please keep originals of your immunization for your records. Submit photocopies only of your immunization records to the Admissions Office.
Students must clear their health requirements in order to attend classes. Due to the pandemic, a Health Clearance Waiver hold, which allows you to register for only online classes, has been placed upon your account. Please note, should you wish to register for classes that may meet in person, you will need to fulfill all necessary immunization requirements.
Tuberculosis (TB) Test
Items to submit BEFORE registration:
TB clearance card, report (record must have TB test date, TB read date, millimeter test reading, and/or negative x-ray report, or a completed Risk Assessment Form.
- New Students - Must have a negative TB skin test or x-ray completed at the age of 16 or older, or within 1 year of the start of the semester. Students can also submit a Risk Assessment Form directly from their physician's office or the Department of Health.
- Transfer Students - Need both a TB test and proof of attending other courses after high school/college, if TB does not meet the 16 or older requirement (with a negative TB reading).
- UH Manoa Students - Send a signed written memo requesting copy of TB & MMR health clearance documents to be sent to Honolulu CC via campus mail or for pick-up. Include your Banner ID#, name, and phone number to University Health Services at Manoa (Fax # 808-956-0853, Office # 808-956-8965). Allow a minimum of 1 week to process your request.
- International (F-1) Students - TB Clearance must be from a M.D. in the U.S. before registration is allowed, including varicella immunization, and Tdap. MMR immunization records from the student's home country are acceptable, the MMR immunization record must be in English.
Tetanus-Diphtheria-Pertussis (Tdap) Clearance
Proof of one (1) shot of Tdap (administered at the age of 10 or older) is required.
International (F-1) Students - Tdap Clearance must be from a M.D. in the U.S. before registration is allowed
Varicella (Chickenpox) Clearance
Proof of two (2) shots of varicella is required. A documented history of varicella (chickenpox), signed by a U.S. licensed physician, APRN, or PA may be substituted for the varicella vaccine requirement.
If a student is born before 1980, varicella immunization record is not required.
International (F-1) Students - Varicella Clearance must be from a M.D. in the U.S. before registration is allowed.
Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR) Clearance
Proof of two (2) Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR) shots is required. One MMR immunization is acceptable for the first semester of registration, a second immunization record is required 45 days after the first immunization shot.
If a student is born before 1957, MMR immunization record is not required.