Testing and Tutoring is responsible for delivering tutorial and testing services (UH Community College System placement testing, distance education testing, on-campus make-up testing, non-UH testing, etc.)
- The Testing Room schedule below is for Distance Education and on-campus Make-Up exam administration only. For placement test monthly schedule, please refer to Placement Test information listed further below on this web page.
- No tests/exams will be started within the last hour before closing and all tests/exams will be collected at closing – NO extensions past closing time.
- Any hardcopy pencil/paper tests/exams that need to be scanned and e-mailed back to instructors will be ended and collected 10 minutes before closing, at the latest, each operational day.
- Picture ID is required.
- No weekend hours
- Closed on all State, Federal, and school holidays.
- Testing Center will be closed on the following dates: September 2nd, November 11th, and November 28th.
Contact Hanwell Kaakimaka or Varouny Sybounmy at email@example.com or (808) 845-9130.
Hours effective August 26, 2019 - December 20, 2019:
- Monday - Thursday: 9:00AM - 6:30PM (Last test intake at 5:30 PM)
- Friday: 9:00AM - 1:00PM (Last test intake at 12:00 PM)
Honolulu Community College now offers services for proctoring tests/exams for institutions outside of the University of Hawaiʻi school system for a fee. Please contact Charles Miller through e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information. All test/exam requests for outside of the University of Hawaiʻi school system must be made 2 weeks or more prior to date of test/exam to be taken.
Honolulu CC uses a variety of ways to check student's skill levels in English and math to ensure students will be placed in the right level classes. In addition to the placement test, there may be alternative placement methods available. Please contact Academic Counseling office, Records Office, or the Testing Center for more information. Listed below are the different options students can select to determine appropriate English and math levels.
- Placement Option #1: Self report your placement scores. View/download the Self-Report Form [PDF]
- Placement Option #2: Submit SAT, ACT, SBAC, or HiSET scores
- Placement Option #3: Submit official high school transcript and/or meet with an Academic Counselor to evaluate your college transcripts.
- Placement Option #4: Take the Accuplacer Exam
Placement Testing Schedule
No appointment is necessary. The testing center is closed on weekends and holidays. Please see below for updated schedules or call 845-9217 for the most current testing dates/times.
Placement Testing Requirements
- Students must bring a Honolulu CC Acceptance Letter and a photo ID or they will not be able to take the placement test.
- Testers are monitored by security cameras at all times during testing. Cell phones, pagers and other inappropriate electronic devices are not allowed. No communication between testers is allowed in the testing room.
- Personal hand held calculators and other devices are not allowed in the testing room. Neither are dictionaries or other reference materials. During the math test, students will be allowed to use the onscreen calculator only. Scratch paper is provided and collected at the end of the test.
- Children are not allowed in the testing room with testers, so students should not bring children with them to the testing site for safety reasons and out of courtesy to other testers.
Students With Disabilities
Students with disabilities may request special testing accommodations by calling 845-9272. Advance notice of at least two workdays is respectfully requested.
Alternative Placement Test Measures
The University of Hawaii Community College System has adopted alternative placement measures in which students are able to use previous academic records and/or assessments to place into English and Math courses at UH System Community Colleges. If you are interested in examining this option, please print out and complete the Alternative Placement Measures form [PDF] and submit it in person to the Honolulu Community College Records Office in Bldg. 6, 1st Floor for review.
A Honolulu CC Placement Test Referral Form permission slip from a Honolulu CC counselor is required to retest. Students who have placement tested may retake the University of Hawaii Community College System Placement Test with a $25.00 retest fee and next day wait period effective July 15, 2010. Students who want to retest must see a counselor first for a Honolulu CC Placement Test Referral Form slip and then complete payment of the $25.00 retest fee. Students must have a signed Honolulu CC Placement Test Referral Form from a Honolulu CC counselor and receipt of payment for the $25.00 retest fee when they come to the Honolulu CC Testing Center to retake the placement test. It is advisable for students intending to retest to review English and math and become familiar with test taking strategies and procedures before retaking the placement test. Review information is available below.
The retest fee of $25.00 is exempt if your placement test scores are more than 2 years old. The exempt $25.00 retest fee of placement test scores 2 years old or older ONLY applies to current University of Hawaii system students.
Sample Test Questions
Sample test questions are available at the College Board website. There are Accuplacer sample links listed below:
- Accuplacer Sample Questions [PDF]
- Accuplacer WritePlacer Sample Essays [PDF]
- Accuplacer Practice Tests [PDF
(Sign up for a username and password, and then click on Next Generation Practice Tests.)
Brush-up courses are available in math and English for students who wish to retake the Placement Test. These are non-credit courses designed to assist students in improving their math and English skills. Upon completion of 100% of the designated curriculum students are allowed to retake the placement math or English test for free. Applications are available at the Testing and Tutoring's location in Building 7, Room 313. The cost of each course is $50.
Contact: Charles Miller at email@example.com or call 845-9232.
Testing and Tutoring offers tutoring in the following subjects: Accounting, Finance, Economics, Philosophy, History, Japanese, Spanish, Chinese, Physics, Chemistry, ICS, and other subjects. Tutoring is available in Building 7 Room 313.
Contact: Charles Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 845-9232.
Studying that fits your schedule 24/7 online tutoring for UHCC students!
The University of Hawaiʻi Community Colleges offers free online, on-demand tutoring, through Tutor.com. Tutors are always available, even late at night when your instructor or TA may not be. Stuck on a problem? Want someone to review your paper? This tutoring service is easy to use and can be accessed on any device that connects to the internet.
When you sign in to Tutor.com you'll be able to:
- Connect with over 3,000 qualified tutors 24/7
- View replays and transcripts of previous sessions
- Drop off an essay for review and feedback
- Save your favorite tutors and set up tutoring appointments
- Take free practice quizzes to assess your skills
- Access tutoring help from your computer, mobile phone or tablet
Tutor.com is now the online tutoring service for UH Community College replacing Brainfuse.
For questions, please contact Tutor.com support here or email@example.com.
Who has access to Tutor.com?
Tutor.com online tutoring is available to University of Hawaiʻi students who are taking at least one community college course during the current semester.
Is there tutoring available for my classes?
Tutors are available to help you in a wide range of disciplines and courses, such as:
Math, English, History, Foreign Languages, Nursing and Healthcare, Physics, Biology, Science, Business, Computer Science, Social Sciences and more...
Writing help is available for all courses
How do I connect to an online tutor?
Sign in to myuh.hawaii.edu for access to Tutor.com.
On the "Connect with a tutor" page, select your discipline, course/subject, and fill out the question or concept you want help with in your tutoring session.
Please have your question for your tutor ready before you connect. Enter your question and any important notes in the pre-session survey - this will save you time while you are in your session.
Decide if you want a voice session. If you want to use voice in addition to chat, you may want to use a headset for your microphone and speakers or you can dial into a conference line with your tutor once you start your session.
You can attach a file or screenshot of something you would like help with by clicking "share a file" in the pre-session request form and in the online classroom.
After your session with a tutor, you can review it again at any time on your "sessions" page or save your tutor as a "favorite."
How do I drop off a paper?
Click on the "Submit an Essay" tab and fill out the form.
Upload the essay you want reviewed and your tutor will send you feedback within 12 hours.
You will be notified by email and with a notice on your account page when your paper is ready for pick-up. The paper will be returned to your sessions page under "My Account."