Following World War II, the U.S. Congress passed legislation supporting a wide array of benefits for Veterans to assist their transition back to civilian life. These benefits included educational support programs that enabled Veterans to return to school for vocational training or to earn a college degree. Since that time, Veterans educational benefits programs have evolved to include expanded educational opportunities including Vocational Rehabilitation and family/dependent and survivor's education/training programs.
Like many other colleges and universities, Honolulu Community College is an approved educational institution for education and training under the Veterans Educational Assistance Act, the Veteran’s Readjustment Act, and the Dependents’ Educational Act.
Information regarding eligibility, entitlement and types of training authorized may be obtained from http://www.benefits.va.gov/honolulu/.
Department of Veterans Affairs Regional Office
P.O. Box 8888
Muskogee, OK 74402-8888
Ph: 1-888-442-4551 (toll free)
(to by-pass recording, press 1, then press 2, then press 0)
Department of Veterans Affairs – Honolulu
Medical & Regional office
Attn: Veterans Services Division (271)
459 Patterson Road
Honolulu, HI 96819-1522
Ph: 1-800-827-1000 (toll free)
Applying For Benefits
Students wishing to apply to the Veteran’s Administration (VA) for money to attend school must first determine which category or chapter they fall under and then they can follow the appropriate checklist. Information regarding which category or chapter a VA student falls under may be obtained from the Veterans Affairs Regional Office.
- Chapter 33 Post 9/11
- Chapter 33 Dependent
- Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation
- Chapter 35 Dependent of a veteran who either died or was disabled as a result of military service
- Chapter 1606 Reserve/National Guard
Also, there is additional funding for service members and their spouses offered through their individual units and by the Department of Defense.
Commonly Used VA Forms
- VA 22-1990 - Application for VA Education Benefits (exp: 12/31/2019)
- VA 22-1900e - Application for Family Member to Use Transferred Benefits (exp: 12/31/2019)
- VA 22-1995 - Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (exp: 5/31/2018)
- VA 22-5490 - Dependents' Application for VA Education Benefits (exp: 9/30/2018)
- VA 22-0803 - Application for Reimbursement of Licensing or Certification Test Fees (exp: 3/31/2018)
View VA Forms Repository for additional forms.
http://www.ebenefits.va.gov - Important activities can be done at this site such as:
- Obtaining a VA Home Loan Certificate of Eligibility
- Applying for disability compensation
- Obtaining access to your DD-214
To request official military transcripts, please visit the following websites:
Army, Marine Corps, Navy and Coast Guard transcripts can all be requested through Joint Services Transcripts (JST)
Air Force or Community College of the Air Force or Air University Transcripts
(Officers may have to contact the Office of the Academic Dean at the University at 334-953-4543).
Paper or electronic copies of coursework submitted by institutions or persons other than the Military organization will not be accepted
http://www.va.gov - This is the Department of Veterans Affairs website where you can learn about VA benefits you may be eligible for such as:
- Home loans
- Medical benefits
- Educational benefits
- Burial benefits