Our academic counselors and advisors are here to help you succeed! Get in touch with the Academic Counseling Office to schedule an appointment.
Our counselors are here to assist you with defining your educational goals, discussing your options or areas of improvement, and sharing strategies and skills for academic success. Although all our academic counselors can advise students in any major, each academic program has an academic counselor who specializes in that area. We highly recommend seeing your program counselor at least once per semester for correct program information/advising. Academic advising is available in-person as well as via email, phone, or Zoom.
Academic Counselors assist Future, New, Current, and Transfer Students with the following:
- Academic Plan
- Academic Probation and Warning
- Change of Major
- Course Selection for Registration
- Course Substitutions
- Graduation Check
- Placement (review of unofficial transcripts, placement referral information, placement test results)
- Program Information
- Readmission following Academic Suspension/Dismissal
- Registration Errors & Holds
- Review Degree requirements
- Transfer Advising
- Transfer Information and Credits
- Veteran’s Benefit Certification
You’re on Academic Probation—Now What? Take a deep breath! Being on Academic Probation can be overwhelming, but our Academic Counselors are here to help provide you with the skills and support you need to get you back on track.
STAR Balance Appointments
You can now book an appointment with an Academic Counselor through STAR Balance. Advising service is currently offered in-person as well as via email, phone, or Zoom.
For assistance with booking an advising appointment on STAR Balance, please contact our office via email or phone, (808) 845-9162. How to Schedule an Appointment via STAR Balance
What is Academic Probation?
If your cumulative grade-point average (GPA) falls below 2.0, you will be placed on academic probation.
- Your cumulative GPA consists of all semesters combined at Honolulu Community College.
- It does not include grades from other campuses.
What do I need to do if I am on Academic Probation?
Step 1: Once you receive your Academic Probation letter, schedule an appointment with your Academic Counselor through STAR Balance or call (808) 845-9162. Learn more on how to schedule an appointment
- Go to STAR Balance & log in with your username and password.
- Use the left-side panel to view the advising services options available.
- Select HON-Counseling.
- Select the Advisor Drop Down Menu.
- Select the academic counselor you would like to schedule with.
- Complete the pop-up form with information about your advising appointment.
- An email confirmation will be sent to your UH Email Account.
Step 2: Create a “Get Back on Track” Success Plan with your Academic Counselor to formulate steps and develop a plan to overcome academic barriers.
Step 3: After your appointment with your Academic Counselor, you will be required to schedule a follow up appointment mid-semester to check on your progress.