The Cybersecurity Center was created to showcase the different cybersecurity programs and resources available to students and faculty through Honolulu Community College.
About the Programs
Academic Credit Cybersecurity Program
Faculty: Sally Dunan, Roger Mitchell, Bradley Ramos, Aaron Tanaka
The core academic Cybersecurity program at Honolulu Community College is the Associate of Science (AS) program in Computing Security & Networking Technology (CSNT). The CSNT program is built on two foundational concepts. Extensive hands-on training on actual systems (routers, switches, firewalls, virtual machines, Windows Server, Linux OS, cloud, data systems, etc) and support for industry certifications (A+, Security+, CCNA, Network+). Additional advanced courses are offered which support LINUX+, CYSA+, AWS, Pentest+, Malware Analysis and other current ICT topics. A CSNT datacenter has been developed which provides CSNT courses with remote access to a virtual network/server environment. CSNT students have the ability to connect remotely into the CSNT datacenter thru a VPN tunnel and access the network and their virtual systems 24/7. Students are also allowed to run cybersecurity exercises within this private cloud environment.
The CSNT AS program articulates into the Bachelors of Applied Science in Information Security Assurance (BAS ISA) at the University of Hawaii at West Oahu. In addition, the CSNT program also offers an advanced third year program (Advanced Professional Certificate) which also articulates into the BAS ISA program at UH West Oahu.
Academic Program Validation
On May 27, 2022, the Associate of Science program in Computing, Security, and Networking at Honolulu Community College was validated by the National Security Agency (NSA) after a review completed by the NSA in partnership with a committee of academic peers. This validation will be active until the academic year 2027.
What former CSNT students are saying about the program:
- Gerome Catabagan “HCC was the institution that provided me all my base technical knowledge and application which prepared myself for all the professional roles I’ve performed during my cyber career.” (HCC: 12/2015, UHWO: 12/2016) Employer: Leidos, CSIRT Senior Cyber Defense Analyst
- Melchor W. Servito-Sipeli’I “A great educational investment to learn from the best technical professors in the state.” (HCC: May 2020) Employer: Alaka’na, Cyber Analyst
- Sherie Yip: “The CSNT program exposes students to an extensive amount of hands-on experience that provides graduates with the knowledge and skills to have successful career in Cybersecurity.” (HCC Spring 2020) Employer: Leidos
What employers are saying about the program:
- Vince Hoang (Chief Information Security Officer: State of Hawaii) “I’ve had the pleasure to hire HCC graduates to support the cybersecurity program at the State of Hawaii. HCC fills a critical part of our workforce pipeline that provides the opportunity for students to learn not only the academic background but also the hands-on learning to develop and mature our new cybersecurity defenders.”
- Mike Hirai (President: Network 2000) “Excellent Resource! Graduates were well prepared and motivated. Great hands-on training, Exceptional”
- Keala Ibara (Office Manager: Optinet Hawaii LLC) “The student interns from the CSNT program at Honolulu Community College have become an integral part of our team. They have a fundamental knowledge of IT, and with their inquisitive minds and a willingness to learn, are able to explore all the opportunities the IT field has to offer”
Non Credit Programs
Non-credit continuing education training programs at Honolulu Community College are supported by the Pacific Center for Advanced Technology Training (PCATT). PCATT offers an extensive selection of Cybersecurity related courses for industry professionals looking to upgrade their skills or learn new skills. Cybersecurity related courses offered include, A+, Security+, CISSP, and AWS. PCATT also offers customized training to meet the needs of the local ICT industry.
The CSNT Program in partnership with PCATT support the following ICT education academics: Cisco Training Academy, AWS Academy, Microsoft Academy, CompTIA Academy Partner and VMware IT Academy.
- HCC Student Clubs HATS finishes Fourth in the 2022 ALCCDC (PDF)
- GenCyber Camps
- 2018: Team from UH West Oahu and Honolulu Community College capture national Cyber championship.
- 2016: For the Fourth Year in a Row a team from Honolulu Community College finishes in the top three of the At Large Regional of the Collegiate Cyber Defense competition.
- Top Three Placement in the Collegiate Cyber Defense Competition
- Team Menehune Places Second at Regional Competition
- Cyber Hui is an organization which supports High School CyberPatriot teams in Hawaii.
- HonCC Team Mauka finishes 7th in nation in the Gold Division of the Fall 2014 National Cyber League.
- HonCC student Eric Kotake finishes third in the nation out of 822 entrants and first in the west, for the Fall 2014 National Cyber League.
- National Cyber League – Cybersecurity Competitions
- National Collegiate Cyber Defense Competition
Cybersecurity Awareness for College Students: 7 Things to Do Now
Cybersecurity: Books – Library and online resources about computer and network security, plus alerts and updates about threats and breaches.
University of Hawaiʻi Information Security Program – University of Hawaii System resources related to Data Governance and Oversight, Information Security Audits & Risk Assessments, Information Security Policies & Procedures, Identity Management & Access Controls, Information Security Training and Awareness
- Henderson Nuuhiwa, Board of Water Supply
- Dr Edward Tavares, Hawaiian Electric
- Norman Okamura, TASI
- Christopher Loftis, Huntington Ingalls
- Ricky Zeng, ZR Systems
HonCC offers more than 23 academic programs offering 22 associate degrees and 31 certificates to prepare you for a lifetime of meaningful work.