Congratulations on your acceptance to Honolulu Community College (HonCC). We are excited that you made the choice to pursue your academic and career goals with us. The following steps are to help you get started and with using VA Education Benefits, such as the GI Bill.®
How to Register
Step 1: Acceptance Notification
Your acceptance to HonCC will be provided to you via the email you indicated on your admissions application. Please read the email carefully as it will provide you with a list of next steps in order to register for classes.
If additional information is needed to process your application, you will receive a letter in the mail describing the information needed to complete your application. Please submit the information requested as soon as possible.
Step 2: Create or Re-activate your UH Username and Password
Setup or re-activate your UH Username online and click on “Get a UH Username.” Keep your username and password in a safe place. Your login credentials are used to access your student records on STAR, access your UH email, and to complete eForm such as the VA Enrollment Certification Request Form. Official communication within the University of Hawai‘i will be made through your UH email address.
Step 3: Apply to use VA Education Benefits
To use your benefits from the VA, you must complete the appropriate form dependent on your VA chapter. These forms are accessible online on the VA’s website. Remember it is your responsibility to complete the appropriate form. HonCC is not responsible for delays in payment due to non-application with the VA.
Submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) to the VA School Certifying Official via UH FileDrop service. Send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Application Type||Chapter 30 Montgomery GI BillActive Duty||Chapter 31 Veteran Readiness and Employment||Chapter 33Post-9/11 GI Bill (Veteran)||Chapter 33Post-9/11 GI Bill (Transferred Entitlement)||Chapter 35 Dependents’ Educational Assistance||Chapter 1606 Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve|
|Continuing||22-1995||See your VocRehab Counselor||22-1995||22-1995||22-5495||22-1995|
Step 4: Submit Health Clearances
The State of Hawaii Department of Health (DOH) requires all students to meet health requirements before they attend a post-secondary institution in the State of Hawaii. You must submit the following to attend on-campus activities, which may include but are not limited to attending classes, participation in UH-sponsored activities, or seeking on-campus jobs:
- TB Clearance (record from less than a year ago OR from the age of 16 or older)
- MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) immunizations (Two shots required)
- Tdap (Tetanus, Diphtheria, Acellular Pertussis) immunization (One shot required)
- Varicella immunizations (Two shots required or Physician’s certification of history of chickenpox)
NOTE: Titers are not recognized by DOH. Anyone born prior to 1980 in the United Stated are exempt from this immunization requirement.
We recommend you use our Health Clearance Form (PDF). This form will help you explain to your health care provider the immunizations and TB clearance requirements for school attendance. If you have any questions regarding the DOH’s health clearance requirement for school attendance, please contact our Admissions Office.
All health clearance documents should be submitted to Med+Proctor, the University of Hawaii’s partner in processing and reviewing health clearance documents. For information about how to submit your health documents to Med+Proctor, please watch this video.
Step 5: Transcript Evaluation
The Department of Veterans Affairs requires HonCC to evaluate all transcripts from prior institutions that you have attended, to include military transcripts.
- If you completed training with the Army, Marine Corps, Navy, or Coast Guard, you must request for your Joint Services Transcripts. To request for transcripts, visit jst.doded.mil.
- If you complete training with the Air Force, you must request for your transcripts from the Community College of the Air Force. Request transcripts here.
Transcripts must be sent directly from the institution to the HonCC Records Office (see address below) to be considered as official. Transcripts that are hand-delivered or are faxed will be considered as unofficial and will be used for placement purposes only. For more information on transcript evaluations, please contact the Records Office.
Send Transcripts to:
Honolulu Community College Records Office
874 Dillingham Boulevard
Honolulu, HI 96817
eTranscripts: Email Us
Step 6: Placement into English and Math
Transfer student can schedule an appointment with an academic counselor to evaluate their college transcripts for placement. If placement isn’t available to you based of your academic history, you haven’t attended a post-secondary institution previously or if your credits for English or Math are not transferrable, you must take a placement test. DO NOT USE the Self-Reported Test Scores form for placement purposes. The VA requires HonCC to have on file scores that justify the need of remedial or deficiency training, if needed.
The following are placement options allowed:
- Submission of Standardized Tests – including but not limited to Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT), American College Testing (ACT), Smarter Balanced Assessment (SBA), HiSET, etc.
- Submission of High School Transcripts
- If you would like to take an in-person placement assessment, please check out our Testing Center for further instructions.
- If you would like to take an online placement assessment, please go to EdReady and enter UH_HON_Placement as the Goal Key.
Step 7: New Student Orientation and Registration
Our Academic Counselors are here to help you with class registration.
- Watch NSR Video (https://www.honolulu.hawaii.edu/register/new-student-registration/)
- Submit Google Form to complete a quick assessment (Form will be at the end of the NSR Video to sign up for a 1-on-1 appointment or group advising appointment with your counselor to register).
- Counselor will schedule a STAR Balance Appointment to assist with registration. Check your UH Gmail Account for the appointment confirmation (1-3 business days). If you cannot attend your scheduled appointment, send an email to email@example.com or call 808-845-9162 to reschedule your appointment.
- Attend NSR appointment or group advising session and register for classes. Your NSR hold will be removed during the appointment.
You encouraged to seek assistance with registration and to familiarize yourself with the STAR registration system with an academic counselor. Schedule an appointment with an academic counselor via STAR Balance or contact the Academic Counseling Office at (808) 845-9162 or email for assistance with scheduling.
Step 8: VA Enrollment Certification
You must complete the Enrollment Certification Request Form (ECRF) to have our courses certified to the VA. Go to UH Login to get started. Once this form is initiated, your program counselor or Veterans counselor will list your course registration and determine whether or not courses are applicable to your program of study. Only courses applicable to your program of study will be certified to the VA. After the counselor completes their portion of their form, you will have the opportunity to review the certification before it submitted to the VA School Certifying Official for processing. Please monitor your UH Email for an email from Kuali Notifications to review and approve the ECRF for processing.
Tuition and Fees Payment
Step 9: Monthly Verification of Enrollment
Depending on the VA Education Benefit you are using, you may be required to verify your enrollment with the VA at the end of every month. If you do not see your benefit listed below, then you are not required to verify your enrollment at the end of every month.
Learn more about Veterans Information