Honolulu Community College is an integral part of the University of Hawaiʻi , which is a world-renowned, nationally-ranked, and state-funded American institution. Students have direct transfer to the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa, the University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo, and the Unversity of Hawaiʻi -West Oʻahu to complete their four-year baccalaureate degree. The institution also has transfer agreements with other universities in Hawaiʻi and serves as a gateway to over 2,000 universities and colleges across the USA. Students planning to transfer to these institutions will receive special assistance in preparing application documents.
Honolulu Community College offers one of the best educational values in the United States. Students enjoy high-quality education at very affordable tuition rates and receive instruction in small classes taught by well-credentialed faculty who are dedicated to excellence in teaching.
The pleasant climate and the Pacific, Asian, and American cultural influences provide a unique educational environment that is both safe and comfortable.
The Main Campus of Honolulu Community College, a short distance from the heart of downtown Honolulu, occupies over twenty acres on Dillingham Boulevard in the Kalihi-Palama area. The College also has facilities near Honolulu International Airport for the Aeronautics Maintenance and Commercial Aviation programs, automotive and heavy equipment shops on Kokea Street, and the Marine Education and Training Center at Sand Island.
Honolulu Community College is a member of the American Association of Community Colleges and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. Honolulu Community College has been continuously and fully accredited since 1970 by the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges, Western Association of Schools and Colleges..
History of the College
Honolulu Community College (Honolulu CC) was established in 1920 as the Territorial Trade School in Palama. Subsequently, it became part McKinley High School, but was later reestablished as Honolulu Vocational School. It became the Honolulu Technical School in 1955 before becoming part of the University of Hawaiʻi as a result of the Community College Act of 1964. In 1966, the Board of Regents approved the name Honolulu Community College and authorized the school to grant Associate in Arts and Associate in Science degrees.
As one of seven schools comprising the UH Community College System, Honolulu CC experienced rapid growth between 1966 and 1976 and has evolved into a fully comprehensive community college. The Main Campus, a short distance from the heart of Honolulu on Dillingham Boulevard, offers liberal arts instruction leading to a two-year Associate in Arts degree, allowing students to transfer credits to achieve junior class standing at four-year higher education institutions within the State. The college also has facilities near Honolulu International Airport, at Kalaeloa Airport (Kapolei), on Kokea Street, and at Sand Island that currently offer Associate in Science, Associate in Applied Science, and Associate in Technical Studies degrees. Certificate programs in more than twenty Career and Technical Education areas that are integrated with a strong general education "core" help Honolulu CC provide an educated citizenry for the workforce of the State of Hawai‘i.