Get answers to frequently asked questions
New Students Registration
Yes, the New Student Orientation is mandatory for all newly accepted students. It consists of a short video which helps explain the steps needed to sign up for an NSR session and register for classes.
If you are a New Transfer or Returning student, you aren’t required to watch the orientation video. Once you complete the New Student Registration Checklist, you can simply register for classes on STAR on your assigned date. If you need help with registering for classes, email us.
When you receive a scholarship from an outside source (any scholarships that aren’t from HonCC), you are required to report the award amount to our Financial Aid Office. You can email our Financial Aid Office with proof that you were awarded this scholarship (ex: photo of the announcement) and the award amount.
Go to MyUH, look for the View My Financial Aid button and log-in with your UH username and password. Click on Award By Aid Year, select the year that you’re looking for, then click Submit. If you don’t see any options, please contact our Financial Aid Office. Click on the Award Overview tab to view your award package.
FAFSA opens every year on October 1. The priority deadline for Fall is March 1 and for Spring is October 1. You can still complete it after these dates, but you may not get as much aid as someone who completed it earlier and by the priority deadline. We recommend you complete your FAFSA as soon as it opens so you can get as much aid as possible.
MyUH Services is your one stop shop for all of UH’s websites and programs. It includes important links such as UH Gmail, STAR, Laulima, and more!
You can find your UH ID on your acceptance letter. It should be an 8-digit number in the top left of the letter.
Yes, the Health Clearance Form (PDF) must be submitted in order to take part in any on-campus activities, classes, meetings/assistance, and jobs. Most of our trades/CTE programs meet in person for classes and students will be required to submit their health Clearance form in order to attend. Currently, our Liberal Arts and General Education classes are still being offered online.
Due to the pandemic, a Health Waiver hold will be automatically placed on your student account. This will restrict you to taking only online classes until the Health Clearance form is submitted. If you’re only taking online classes for the semester, you do not have to submit the Health Clearance form; however, we highly encourage all students to submit the form so that they can utilize on-campus services.
You can contact your physician to complete the Health Clearance form to confirm that you’ve received these clearances or if you need to schedule an appointment to get these done. For TB tests, you can also go to this site for more information on testing locations.
You must be completely vaccinated for COVID-19 if you plan to take in-person or hybrid classes and upload the results to the LumiSight UH app.
Students may request exemptions for medical or religious reasons. Students who receive exemptions will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test weekly to be on campus. COVID-19 medical exemptions should be submitted through UH File Drop to the Records Office (recipient email address is firstname.lastname@example.org) for review and approval.For more information about the COVID-19 requirement and exemption options, refer to the 2022 COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination for Students Policy and the COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement for Students FAQs.
Yes, placement is mandatory so you can be placed in the proper english and math classes. Other classes may also have placement pre-requisites as well.
- Input your past test scores (ex: ACT, SAT) and high school grades on the Self-Report Form (PDF).
- Submit your unofficial transcript.
- Request your official transcript to be sent to our Admissions Office.
- Transfer students need to have it sent directly to our Records Office.
- Take the Accuplacer Exam at our Testing Center.
- Take the online EdReady English and Math placement tests.
If you’ve attended any colleges outside of the UH-system and would like to see if your credits transfer, you’ll need to send your official transcripts directly to our Records Office along with a Transcript Evaluation Request Form (PDF).
HonCC Records Office
874 Dillingham Blvd.
Honolulu, HI 96817
For Self Report Forms and unofficial transcripts, you may submit them to our Admissions Office via UH File Drop.
Phone: (808) 845-9129
For official transcripts, you’ll need to send them directly to our Records Office.
HonCC Records Office
874 Dillingham Blvd.
Honolulu, HI 96817
Registration and Payments
New Student Registration (NSR) is a mandatory virtual session for all incoming new students where you’ll meet with our academic counselors to learn important information about HonCC and resources on campus. You’ll also meet your program counselor to schedule an appointment where they’ll help you register for classes. Sign up for an NSR session
To access the NSR sign up form, you need to be signed in to only your UH email account. If you are signed into multiple accounts, you’ll need to sign out of the non-UH email accounts.
Register for Classes
- Registration for the Summer and Fall terms start in the beginning of April, and registration for Spring terms begin in the first half of November.
- View the current registration timetable
- Courses noted as “NOT IN PLAN” are not required for your program. Therefore, if you are using financial aid or veteran benefits, it will NOT be covered or paid for.
- If you think a course noted as “NOT IN PLAN” should be required for your program, please contact your academic counselor.
Go to STAR GPS and log-in. The recommended courses should be found in your Spring semester box under your GPS Registration tab. Click on “register add/drop courses”. If you need assistance with selecting your courses please contact Academic Counseling at (808) 845-9162 or schedule an appointment via STAR Balance.
An academic, health or financial hold can prevent you from registering for classes. A link that says “View Hold” will appear on your STAR GPS registration page. Click on the link to find out which department to contact to clear your hold.
- Prerequisite error: You will receive this error if you do not meet course/test score requirements
- Corequisite error: You will receive this error if you are not enrolled in another specific class at the same time
- Major Restriction error: You will receive this error if you try to register for a course that is not in your major but restricted to a particular major
- Time Ticket Restriction error: You will receive this error if you try to register before your registration time
- Instructor Approval Error: You will receive this error if you try to register for a course that requires instructor approval. You will need to email the instructor requesting approval in order to register for this course
*Note: Please contact your academic counselor if you receive an error and need further clarification.
What if Journey” tab on STAR *Note: this is only a tool to use for exploration and NOT an official change to your academic record. If you would like more information, please see an academic counselor. Who can help me with transfer information and deadlines? Academic Counselors can help you, please schedule an appointment via STAR Balance. View transfer information
Preparing for Your First Day
Fall 2022 Important Dates
|Application Deadline||August 1, 2022|
|Last day to pay tuition and fees||August 18, 2022|
|Last day to register||August 21,2022|
|Last day to drop class||August 30, 2022|
Come visit us at our Welcome Back Tables! You’ll find us on the campus mall in front of Building 18 under the tents. We can help you with finding your way around campus and answer any questions you may have.
- Online via STAR
- Go to the GPS Registration tab on your STAR
- Click the register add/drop courses button c. Click the view/pay button
- Cashiers office in Bldg. 6, 1st Floor, (808) 845-9102 (cash, check, and debit card accepted)
Unfortunately, we do not offer housing.