Transfer to a Four-Year University Within the University of Hawaii System
Transfer to Another University of Hawaii Community College
Transfer to Non-University of Hawaii Campus
Transferring To a Mainland College/University?
- Meet with your academic counselor one year prior to your planned transfer
- Start one year in advance of your planned transfer
- Private or public? Learn about what is required to establish residency for tuition if public institution.
- Financial Aid/Scholarships? Pay attention to dates and deadlines! If taking student loans ASK QUESTIONS and be sure you know how much you will be in debt upon completion of your degree.
- Plan on college costs to include living expenses? On campus? Off campus? Do your research!
- Work with transfer institution admissions specialist/counselors every step of the way
- MAKE A PLAN!!!
- Check out local college and career fairs!!!
- Are there student peer mentors/ambassadors at your new school?
- Get as much information as possible to find the best match for your goals!!!
Will my credits transfer?
Check with the college/university you will be attending. Most colleges will require you to apply and enroll before they will give you a transfer credit evaluation. You can search for transfer agreements between schools which outline a checklist of requirement and equivalent courses that will be accepted.
What does “accredited” mean?
This is probably one of the most important things you need to know. Accredited colleges must mean certain minimum standards which are established by regional or national agencies. Check this out thoroughly!
Are there different admission requirements for transfer students?
Most colleges do have different requirements for transfer students. These can include application deadlines, minimum gpa requirements, essays or letters of recommendation. Find out early what your new college will require and plan to meet deadlines.
What will happen to my financial aid when I transfer?
Financial aid cannot be transferred from one college to another. Pay attention to deadlines and update your FAFSA. Check with your college’s Financial Aid Office about your next steps.
Transfer to Honolulu CC
Transfer to Honolulu CC (See: If You Are Transferring Within The UH System…)