E komo mai! Assessment is an ongoing and interactive process consisting of the following steps:
- Defining the outcomes.
- Determining appropriate methods to assess the outcomes.
- Gathering evidence of the outcomes.
- Analyzing the evidence.
- Using this information to improve student learning and evolve the program/service.
O ke kahua mamua, mahope ke kūkulu. The site first, and then the building.
Our institution has established outcomes for all units:
1. Non-instructional units: Service Area Outcomes (SAOs)
2. Instructional units: Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
SLOs are stored in eLumen (or quick preview for Liberal Arts [PDF], Tech 1 [PDF], Tech 2 [PDF]). New courses and programs have their outcomes approved by the Committee for Programs and Curricula (CPC via KualiCM). SLOs take form at various levels:
- Course Learning Outcomes (CLOs): Students achieve CLOs after completing a course.
- Program Learning Outcomes (PLOs): Students achieve PLOs after completing a specific degree or certificate.
- Institutional Learning Outcomes (ILOs): Students achieve ILOs after completing any paths of study
When you develop outcomes, please follow:
Eʻ au malie i ke kai pāpaʻu, o pakī ka wai a pula ka maka. Swim quietly in shallow water lest it splash into the eyes.
When you develop assessment methods, please consult:
ʻIke ʻia no ka loea i ke kuahu. Experts are recognized by the altar they build.
When you collect your assessment evidence, please review:
2. Assessment reports are stored in eLumen.
4. eLumen trainings:
- Faculty: Guide, full training, video tutorial (refresher on how to fill out a report)
- Unit/Area Coordinator (instructional): Guide, full training, video tutorial (refresher on how to map outcomes)
- Unit/Area Coordinator (non-instructional): Guide, full training, video tutorial (refresher on how to fill out a report)
5. Assessment Reports: 2014-2018
- Arts and Humanities, Social Sciences [PDF]: Received 62/67 SLO Reports.
- Communication and Services [PDF]: Received 127/164 SLO Reports.
- Hawaiian Programs [PDF]: Received 14/14 SLO Reports.
- Language Arts [PDF]: Received 57/57 SLO Reports.
- Math and Natural Sciences [PDF]: Received 69/89 SLO Reports.
- Transportation and Trades [PDF]: Received 198/230 SLO Reports.
- Academic Support [PDF]: Received 7/7 SAO Reports.
- Administration [PDF]: Received 4/4 SAO Reports.
- Communications and External Affairs [PDF]: Received 2/2 SAO Reports.
- Information Technology Services [PDF]: Received 6/6 SAO Reports.
- Office of Continuing Education [PDF]: Received 1/1 SAO Report.
- Student Services [PDF]: Received 7/7 SAO Reports.
ʻAʻohe o kāhi nānā o luna o ka pali; iho mai a lalo nei; ʻike i ke au nui ke au iki, he alo a he alo. The top of the cliff isn't the place to look at us; come down here and learn of the big and little current, face to face.
Faculty and staff members analyze their SLOs and SAOs on an ongoing basis.
- Your eLumen result explorer: Check the eLumen trainings in the Evidence section above.
- Examples of analysis of: Course, program, service.
The assessment office focuses on ILOs:
- Logli, C. (2020). [PDF] Culturally Responsive Assessment 2.0: Revisiting the quest for equity and quality in student learning. Research and Practice in Assessment, 14 (Winter), 19-31.
- Logli, C. (in press). Culturally responsive assessment 2.0 through faculty and students' voices. In G. Henning (Ed.), Reframing assessment to center equity: Theories, models, and practice in US higher education. Sterling, Virginia: Stylus Publishing.
- 2014-2018 Assessment Reports: 8-page analysis [PDF]; 1-page summary [PDF].
- 2018 General Meeting index cards: 4-page analysis [PDF]; 1-page summary [PDF].
- COVID-19 survey: Results [PDF]
A hewa no he hale kanaka, ʻaʻohe hewa o ka hale kanakaʻole. Fault can be found in an inhabited house and none in an uninhabited one.
Action plans related to assessment findings develop in a variety of contexts, including:
- Examples of how to use results towards improvement: Video, Essay, Handout [PDF], PowerPoint [PDF].
- Assessment Discussions: Questions to facilitate your departmental dialogues around assessment results.
- Assessment Series: Spring 2019 [PDF], Fall 2019 [PDF], Spring 2020 [PDF], Fall 2020 [PDF], Spring 2021 [PDF]
- Assessment Ambassadors: Flyer, Participants' Projects [PDF]
- Assessment Townhalls: Spring 2018 [PDF], Fall 2018 [PDF], Spring 2019 [PDF], Fall 2019 [PDF], Spring 2020 [PDF], Fall 2020 [Slides, References, Recording], Spring 2021 [PDF], Fall 2021 [PDF]
- Assessment Committee: Charter, Procedures [PDF], Membership, Minutes.
- Assessment Consultations: Call, email, or meet with me to set up one-on-one or departmental training.
- Faculty Development: Faculty Development Committee or email Ross Egloria, Distance Learning Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org, https://www.honolulu.hawaii.edu/distance.
- UH-System Wide: Assessment Coordinators' Group, Principles Statement [PDF]
Please contact us if you have questions. We are happy to support you!
Chiara Logli, Ph.D.
Faculty/Institutional Assessment Specialist
Honolulu Community College
874 Dillingham Blvd.
Building 27, Room 215H
Honolulu, HI 96817-4598
Phone: (808) 844-2317